Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Behind the banana bread...

Cooking is my passion, and eating the food that I cook is my family's favorite past time. This motivated us to make a cooling/roasting rack that can be used not only for baking, but for roasting as well. I never perfected my banana bread for about a year. It is either dry, or the bottom is darker. I read articles about making moist banana bread (I am OCD, BTW) and found that I need to have a cooling rack to let the bread sit instead of cooling it within the pan. Because of this, the research started. My husband and I started looking for a cooling rack that can be used as roasting rack too so I can use it for baking, roasting, and grilling. He loves to roast, and I love to bake. It's a tandem; a good roasted meat for dinner followed by a sumptuous, mouth-watering dessert. And we both can use a rack. We started buying from superstores and online, but it is always a fail because of the rust which is typical with chrome racks. There were racks made with stainless steel, but the wire racks were either too thin or the rack stand is too low to use for roasting. After trying 6 different racks, we still were not satisfied. We decided to make our own rack instead. This entire idea started with just talking about it during bedtime, and then all of a sudden, it is happening! My husband started to do research, podcast to podcast, sellers forums in amazon and boom! I saw his determination, patience and perseverance every single day. Kitchenatics Cooling and Baking Rack was born! It took us roughly 4 months to finalize everything. It was hard, but fun. There were times that we had minor disagreements over petty things, from the rack details, to packaging, to font colors. There were obstacles, which made my face turn flaming red at times, but overall, this was a fun experience. The Kitchenatics product we created was worth all the sweat and the hard work.


IT'S TIME TO TRY OUR VERY OWN PRODUCT! YAY!

I first tried our Kitchenatics Cooling/Roasting rack in making the family's all time favorite banana loaf, and it was a hit! I usually let it seEt in the baking pan, and notice that it is not that moist, and the bottom is darker. This Banana Bread Recipe that I have is taken and modified from Flours Famous Banana Bread recipe and from different recipes online. I added a little twist:





Ingredients:

1 2/3 sifted flour
2 tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (optional, but i prefer it)
1/2 cup melted butter ( use applesauce or yogurt for those who are healthy eater)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 banana ( mashed)
1/4 cup sourcream
1/4 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate morsels
2/3 cups chopped pecans 



Procedure:

In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. 
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add the sugar until it becomes light. Gradually add the butter in the mixture, followed by the mashed banana, sour cream and vanilla. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients until becomes smooth. Finally, fold in the nuts and chocolate morsaels. 
Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake it for 350F (175C) for about 45 min-1 hour, check it with a toothpick, if it comes out clean, that means it’s done. Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 5-8 minutes in the pan then transfer it to the cooling rack.
Note: For this recipe, I bake it for 45 minutes and it comes out to my desired doneness.

The boys love it! My youngest son who is the banana bread monster can't help eating it. Now, it is a part of my weekend routine. I keep modifying it, since I’m obsessed to make it tastier. 



























Available via amazon at:

www.kitchenatics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment